Curious why the name?

Go down

Curious why the name?

Post  Tanith on Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:53 am

I am curious why the name "boneheads" ? I understand the pirate theme, but in the area I grew up, it was considered an insult to be called a "bonehead". I am curious to know if there is a story on how the name came about? I have not been a member of the fan club for long, and have to admit was apprehensive in joining only because I am not sure I want to be called a "bonehead"?
I hear so much love in his music, and would like to think he would not insult his fans on purpose? A friend of mine that loves a lot of his songs refuses to join only because of the name.... My hope is that if there is a cute story or something, she might change her mind?
Thank you for any information.

Tanith

Location : Currently present in the hear and now, on earth. Love to travel so no telling where I am from day to day physically.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The name "Bonehead"

Post  pillowlady64730@yahoo.com on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:03 pm

I think it's kinda funny. But I do know Bertie doesn't read this very much as he considers it to be a way his fans can connect. You would have to write him direct or Joanne that runs the fan club. My dtrs. & I all have shirts with the logo on it. Don't see anything wrong with it.

pillowlady64730@yahoo.com

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Why the name "Boneheads?"

Post  Dana on Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:18 pm

I wonder if it has to do with the skull and bones logo that you often associate with pirates...that's my best guess anyway. I agree, there is so much love that resonates through Bertie's music that I don't think he would purposely insult his fans. pirat
Dana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Curious why the name?

Post  IslandGuy on Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:38 am

I am a big-fan of BH's muzak .. but the BoneHeads label ? .. not-so-much.

IslandGuy

View user profile http://drtq@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ladylove on Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:56 am

The name doesn't bother me one bit. There have been times when I've been called a bone-head. In my family it means "being hard headed."
ladylove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IslandGuy on Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:36 am

My American Heritage Dictionary defines ... bone-head ...slang A stupid person, dunce.

I am ferr-sure a BH fan .. but I am NOT stupid or a dunce. LET US find another label ..... please.

IslandGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  ladylove on Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:29 am

IslandGuy wrote:My American Heritage Dictionary defines ... bone-head ...slang A stupid person, dunce.

I am ferr-sure a BH fan .. but I am NOT stupid or a dunce. LET US find another label ..... please.

With all due respect, the way the meaning to words change by the day and in different parts of the country the same word could have many different meaning so it's hard for a dictionary to keep up. So in this case, I'm not going by the meaning in the dictionary. I know what it ment in my family to call someone a bonehead and in my family it ment being stubborn. By the way, I'm from Wisconsin. So what the rest of the country uses as meaning I don't really care. Sorry, it I'm offending anyone.
ladylove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IslandGuy on Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:15 am

And ll ...with all dues respect to you ... whatever works for you. But until something changes .... I will continue to buy Bertie's muzak .. but any hats or shirts or whatever with the name BoneHeads on it .. I will pass.

IslandGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  Floridian47 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:26 am

If you guys have ever talked to Bertie and spent any amount of time with him, you know he has a terrific sense of humor. "BONEHEADS" is simply a play on "PARROTHEADS", which is what Jimmy Buffet fans call themselves. it's a self-depricating play on words. Plus, the fact that he's a bit 'Pirate & Poet' with the skull on cross-bones. voila! Boneheads we are!

afro
Floridian47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Bertie's Boneheads

Post  pillowlady64730@yahoo.com on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:17 am

I am sure this is all in fun. Heck, he wears the t-shirts himself. My daughters & I all have & wear them. Plus bumper stickers on our cars.

pillowlady64730@yahoo.com

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum