Bertie Higgins Official Fan Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bertie Higgins's Songcraft Changed My Life

2 posters

Go down

Bertie Higgins's Songcraft Changed My Life Empty Bertie Higgins's Songcraft Changed My Life

Post  moonglampers Fri May 14, 2010 3:20 am

Although I was only ten years old when "Key Largo" was a hit on the radio, I now believe that it was buried deep in my psyche, where it waited patiently for it's time to emerge to the forefront. I now clearly remember being in the back of my mom's Ford LTD, with the local soft rock FM radio cooing and lulling my young mind. However, soon the subversive music of The Beatles and Men At Work would assault me and control my attentions for decades. I now wonder how different my life would have been, had I stayed on course with the pure and genuine music of artists like Bertie Higgins and Juice Newton. Would I have refrained from moving to the sinful state of Texas? Would the love of a pagan queen still have led me to the cold Susquehanna Valley of Central Pennsylvania? It is hard to say, but I know that my heart would not have blackened so.
About two weeks ago, the lyric "just like Bogey and Bacall" randomly entered my mind. I had to think about it for a good while before I could place where it came from, but did finally connect it to the tune. And then a few Google searches later, I had rediscovered the magic that is Bertie Higgins. There is something "of the Ages" in his visage, that brings forth wisdom from centuries past. And then there is the "Key Largo" video. The damsel that he woos on his small boat, is the ideal of 80's feminine beauty. From the sweater tied over her shoulders, to the perfectly feathered hair, she is the sultry product of the early 80's real estate boom. To travel with her to the quasi-fictional island of Key Largo, would be a pilgrimage of wanton joy. I now have purpose and goals. I know what I am striving for. Here's looking at you, kid.

moonglampers

Back to top Go down

Bertie Higgins's Songcraft Changed My Life Empty Changed my life

Post  OZPHOTOG Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:40 am

Mate, I know what you mean. I have always loved Key Largo but have recently rediscovered Bertie's music and I am loving it.
A side effect is that it takes me back to the 80's when I was travelling and met a gorgeous girl in California. ( I am in Australia, married now with 2 kids)
I am 54 now, but his music takes me back to that time, and that girl and now I can't get her out of my head and can't help wondering "what if...."

Damn Bertie, your music is powerful, it affects emotions, memories etc the way true storytelling music should.

Keep it up , would love to see you live one day!
OZPHOTOG
OZPHOTOG

http://www.creativephotographics.com.au

Back to top Go down